It’s Halloween time – and that means it’s craft time! For some reason, my favourite thing about Halloween is that it’s also pumpkin season. For me, pumpkins encapsulate everything that’s good about Autumn – harvest time, soups, warmth, nourishment – so many things! So this cute Halloween pumpkin paper plate craft is the perfect way to celebrate both harvest time and Halloween – whilst also providing a really cute bag to collect all your goodies in when Treat or Treatin’. Here’s what you need!
- two paper plates
- orange crepe paper – if you don’t have any you can use orange paint and do a few coats.
- something to make the eyes and teeth – we used felt but you could just use black card.
- black ribbon for the handle, or you can just use normal string.
- staples and a stapler.
How to make a Halloween Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft
- First of all, if you are using orange crepe paper, tear it up into small pieces so that little fingers can easily stick. Then using a glue stick or PVA glue, cover the whole of the BACK of the plate in glue. Stick on the crepe paper (or paint orange, whatever works best for you).
- Cover the backs of both your paper plates. Try not to leave any white areas if you can! Glue down any sticky out bits of crepe paper so everything is secured nicely to the plates.
- Using whatever you have lying around – we used green felt, cut out some shapes for your pumpkin’s eyes and nose. We tried to make ours look friendly rather than scary. Stick on with glue to one of the plates. This is the “front” piece,
- Using your stapler, staple both front and back piece together. You might need to use quite a few staples to ensure that sweets etc don’t fall out as you are doing your treat or treatin’! Remember to leave a gap for the top for sweets to slot in. Cut your ribbon to size and staple on near the top. We stapled side ways to ensure we got the whole ribbon on the staple.
- You’re done! Test your ribbon to check your Treat or Treat pumpkin craft is strong enough to hold your goodies!
- Here’s ours filled with goodies – and it holds up really well!
Pin for later! Remember to take a look at our Halloween Resources for more amazing Halloween craft and activity ideas!