Use this Phonics Precision Teaching Grid and Guidance across all the phases to develop automatic recall and fluency of graphemes or high frequency words.
How to use
1. Use our phonics assessments to identify gaps in knowledge.
2. Pick one grapheme/word at a time and fill the grid below with the GPC/word that
needs repeated exposure.
3. Make sure that the focus grapheme/word is written at least twice along each line and the rest of the grid is filled with graphemes/words that the child is confident with.
4. Spend a couple of minutes each day working through the grid 1:1 with your target children. Place the grid out in front of the child and ask them to identify all the graphemes/words within the grid.
5. If they struggle then tell them the phoneme/word and move on to the next. Place a tick next to those that are correctly identified.
6. Once the focus GPC/word has been identified correctly three times then create another grid with another focus GPC/word using the template below.
Explore the rest of our phonics assessments.